In today’s day and age, pretty much everyone agrees that it is important to secure valuable possessions and information. Why do we live in gated communities? Why do we lock the doors of our homes and vehicles? We live in a world where theft is a very real threat, so we’ve developed strategies and devices to help us avoid falling victim. Cybersecurity should not be the exception.
When was the last time you sat and debated whether or not you should lock your front door before leaving for the day? Most people do it automatically and would even call it a no brainer. Why risk leaving so many valuable possessions unattended and unprotected? Surprisingly, there are a large number of people who don’t see an issue in using ineffective security systems to protect the very source of their livelihood – their businesses! Let that really sink in. It seems nonsensical to say that you wouldn’t think twice about securing your possessions, but that securing the source of your income “isn’t really a priority.” Through many years of experience, we’ve found cybersecurity to be an “out of sight, out of mind” issue. Unfortunately, the only ones who realize how important it is are the ones that have already experienced the devastation or have witnessed someone else experience it.
Why is it that so many people feel like it’s not a big deal or not a priority? The simple answer might be, because it wasn’t always this way. When computers were originally created, they were extremely big and expensive. Cybersecurity wasn’t as big of an issue because distribution was limited. Fast forward to present day; computers are both affordable and widely accessible. The icing on the cake would have to be the introduction of smart phones, which are capable of performing the same functions as a computer. Almost everyone has a smart phone and we are all connected via the internet. Don’t forget the fact that most people use these devices to perform tasks like purchasing and banking. Does it sound like the perfect storm yet?
Technological advances have presented ample opportunity for hackers and cyber criminals to advance as well. Every year we see them get more creative, resilient and bold. If we want to stay ahead, we have to take the threat very seriously. We can’t stress enough how important it is to cover all the bases, and to be sure you are employing a multifaceted cybersecurity system. In fact, each company’s needs are so unique that we will always recommend a managed services company that specializes in network security over a packaged security product. Modern cybercriminals have figured out the loopholes and the only way to avoid falling victim is to stay one step ahead.
Managed service companies like SON Technology are unique and far superior in that they have the latest tools necessary to keep you out of trouble, such as antivirus/internet protection, computer data security, intrusion blocking, computer/PC security and wireless protection. They also offer tools to get you out of trouble, like virus removal and disaster recovery. In addition, they are able to complete vulnerability assessments of your current cybersecurity plan. This allows you to see where your company is susceptible to threats and how to correct it through a customized, fail-safe security plan that fits your budget.
It’s important to be cautious and stay informed. To help you do just that, we’ve compiled a list of some practical guidelines to help you:
- Keep devices updated, cyber criminals are known to target devices that are outdated.
- Back up your data regularly, in the event that you lose everything or need to wipe your device clean.
- Don’t open email attachments or click links from unknown sources or compromised email addresses.
- Only use trusted and secure websites if you are entering any personal information. If you are unsure look at the URL for clues or type “safebrowsing:[website name]” into Google.
- Learn how to create strong passwords with multiple characters, symbols & numbers.
- Don’t use the same password for all of your accounts.
- When you aren’t using your devices be sure to lock them.
- Be sure to lock flash drives and external hard drives
- Sensitive browsing such as banking or shopping should only be done on personal devices and on a secure network.
Contact SON Technology today for a free consultation!
Our offices are located in beautiful Lake Mary, Florida and we work with clients across the U.S. and in Central Florida in Orlando, Altamonte Springs, Apopka, Casselberry, Lake Mary, Longwood, Maitland, Mount Dora, Oviedo, Winter Park and Winter Springs to make sure their IT systems are efficient reliable and cost effective.
We look forward to serving you and ensuring you have a reliable team dedicated to making your business runs smoothly, efficiently and safely!
- TECH-SPERT TUESDAY: CYBERSECURITY, have you stepped up? - June 18, 2019
- Service First with Orlando Managed IT Services from SON Technology - August 9, 2017
- Improving Government with Technology - October 18, 2016
- Project Management for Healthcare Information Technology (HIT) in Orlando - September 16, 2016
- How Good Is Your IT Disaster Recovery Plan? - August 10, 2016
- Should Orlando Area Small and Medium Sized Businesses Adopt Windows 10? - July 5, 2016
- PC Life Cycle Management Process - June 14, 2016
- Benefits of Managed IT Services in Orlando - May 31, 2016
- Our Office has Moved! - January 13, 2016